Rails 5 in Action30 Mar 2017
I have been asked a few times since Rails 5 was released when Rails 5 in Action (an update to Rails 4 in Action) will be published. The short answer is that it won't be.
After Rails 4 in Action, I cut ties with Manning due to problems I've outlined in many previous posts. Most recently "My self-publishing success story". It just isn't worth any more energy/time to continue to work with that particular publisher. Since they are the ones that own the rights to the Rails * in Action series and the IP of the book, working on an update to Rails 4 in Action would mean working with the publisher, and that's not something that I would choose to do again.
Couple this with a 3-year "no-compete" clause that means I won't be able to publish any book-length Rails beginner content. So even a competing book to Rails 4 in Action is out of the question (at least for the next two and a bit years).
So Rails 5 in Action is never coming out. Rails 4 in Action's code will still work with Rails 5 (mostly) and it's a valuable demonstration of how to build a decently sized Rails application.
- Toy Robot, Deep Dive Rails and AsciiDoc Toolchain20 Feb 2017
- Validating nested JSON data with ex_json_schema24 Nov 2016
- Elixir Tip: Enum.any? + match?28 May 2016
- Multitenancy with Rails 2nd Edition22 May 2016
- Hiring Juniors22 Apr 2016
- Working with date ranges in Active Record09 Mar 2016
- Truncating indexes in Elasticsearch 222 Feb 2016
- Programming Phoenix Review24 Dec 2015
- Open source work16 Nov 2015
- Active Record, change_column and scales10 Nov 2015
- My self-publishing success story06 Aug 2015
- Deploying a Rails application on Ubuntu: Passenger Edition08 Jul 2015
- Mac OS X, Ruby, ruby-install, chruby and You09 Jun 2015
- Getting started with Ruby and Rails30 Apr 2015
- Filtering by index in Elasticsearch03 Dec 2014
- Ubuntu, Ruby, ruby-install, chruby, Rails and You05 Oct 2014
- Working Remotely02 Oct 2014
- Go package management02 Sep 2014
- Thoughts on Go08 Aug 2014
- Add header to Rack::Test request06 Aug 2014
- Ryan Bigg is now a Git...22 Jul 2014
- Initial thoughts on Lotus19 Jun 2014
- Spree, Factories and Callbacks17 Jun 2014
- Community Management02 Apr 2014
- Violence in the Ruby community14 Oct 2013